Friday, October 12, 2007

the library wait

Today I cut out of work early. I was exhausted after last night's Smashing Pumpkins concert. On my way home, I stopped by the library to pick up some CDs I had on reserve. A small crowd of about 15 were gathered in front of the doors. I checked my clock - it was 5 'till 10. The library opened in 5 minutes. I joined the group.

I had never waited in line to go to a library. Especially the little Columbus Northside library, with its 4 rows of books and a handful of computers. It was mostly good for having reserves sent to it, for convenience, but for browsing, you're best going to the main branch. This wait, though....it sort of reminded me of my old Toys R Us days, when parents would crowd around outside the doors on the day after Thanksgiving (or Black Friday as they call it here in Columbus), peeking inside, checking their watches irritatedly. So here I was with this diverse group, waiting to get into a library. I knew what my purpose was, but what were they all waiting for?

The group consisted of a well dressed middle aged Asian man, forehead pressed against the windows, peeking for the (lucky) employee who will unlock the doors. Behind him was a couple, both with some missing teeth, the woman wearing an old Starter jacket for some football team. Remember when those were popular? The man was sporting a nice mullet. Behind him were several men who appeared to have just gotten out of the shelter for the morning and were waiting to have a nice, comfortable place to spend their day, surfing the internet on the free computers to kill time until their group therapy session later that afternoon. Next to me was a woman who had pulled up in her SUV and stood there, staring at the door, not looking at anyone else. Beyond her was a kid, about my age, holding (and then dropping with a loud thud on the cement making everyone turn and stare) a book about punk rock. Then came this guy, probably in his late 30's, with intellectual glasses and a sort of disheveled artist look about him. He pulled into his parking space, traipsed right up to the doors, stood there, looked around at the group gathered around him, and let out a loud sigh.

Finally, the poor little librarian came and opened the doors. People pushed and shoved to be the first ones in. I couldn't believe it. This was the library! I hardly doubted any of those waiting were there to get their READ on.

I was highly amused by the event I witnessed this morning. It seemed to be a regular occasion. The staff inside were all poised for the flood of customers. Artsy guy was trying to sneak books on the reserve cart, while the aide was shooing him away. The shady characters made a beeline to the back "study tables" and computer terminals. A couple women pushed past me, hurriedly, to grab who knows what book off the shelf.

I grabbed my reserves and left.

The library. Who knew?

No comments: